October 03, 2007

Grid vs. Visualization conferences

I'm just back from the first day of the EGEE'07 conference. I'm not a Grid fan, but I noted some differences between this and the visualization conferences I'm used to attend.
At the Grid conference I found, respect to a visualization one:
  • more Italian participants
  • more women
  • more gadgets available at the exhibition
  • more food and more beer and wine offered
Well, it is not a scientific comparison. It is also biased by the location (mostly US the visualization conferences, instead this was in Hungary). But the differences attracted my attention.
The reason for the differences could be:
  • More money from industry, they see commercial opportunities
  • Young field
  • In Italy we have discovered an empty field in which we are not behind the other countries, sadly
  • (my biased opinion) more vaporware...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home